Looking for something interesting to do this summer? Explore The Wilds in Cumberland, Ohio, with over 9,000 acres of open range habitat for rare and endangered species. Go on a Wilds Tour via open air safari, horseback, and more! They have plenty of adventures and even some free activities to enjoy.
Take a tour through open range animal areas to see giraffe, rhinos, camel, bison, zebras, cheetahs, and many other animals roaming around, while you learn about conservation efforts of the Wilds. There is a Mid-Sized Carnivore Conservation Center, as well as a Wilds Gift Market, Overlook Cafe, Butterfly Habitat, and Birding Station.
Visits to the Butterfly Habitat and the Birding Station at Jeffrey Point are free, though $6 parking fee still applies to non-members for the Butterfly Habitat.
Tours at The Wilds
Reservations are required for ALL tours! Guests are also encouraged to wear facial coverings.
Daily Open-Air Safari
There are several different tours available, with the most popular option being the Open-Air Safari. Ride through the open-range animal areas, where you’ll see rhinos, giraffes and many other rare and endangered animals roaming in large, natural settings. This tour includes stops at Lake Trail and the Carnivore Center. Open-Air Safari tours are approximately 2+ hours long.
Prices and Discounts for Open-Air Safari
- $30.00 per person (all ages)
- Wilds Members: Free
- Active Member of the Military: Free (must show current ID). Must call to schedule.
- Zoo members: 50% off tours (must call to verify membership.
- Reciprocal AZA discount is currently suspended.
Interact with Animal Management specialists to see the Wilds at work on this exclusive tour. Each experience will vary day-to-day, depending on what program work is taking place at the time of the Wildside Tour. Tours are approximately 2+ hours long and include plenty of time in pasture to see rare and endangered species in their open-range habitat, and learn directly about our programs from your Animal Management guide.
Non Members: $125.00 per person
Wilds Members: $100.00 per person
Availability: April: 11 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. daily, May – October: 9:00 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. daily
Sunset Safari Tour
Want to impress someone? Take them on the Sunset Safari Tour. Twilight is the time when many of the animals are most active. Your Sunset Safari tour begins at 5 p.m. with a buffet dinner, prepared by the Wilds’ professional chef, on the deck of the Overlook Café. After dinner, you’ll take a guided tour on an Open-Air Safari transport through the open-range animal areas during feeding time (read: active animals) as you enjoy the evening sunset.
These tours are available every Saturday in June and September; every Friday and Saturday in July and August with advance reservations and payment. These popular tours fill up quickly, so book now!
- Non Member: $75.00 per person (all ages)
- Wilds Members: $70.00 per person (all ages)
Horseback Safari, Zipline Tours, and even a Fishing Safari
Private tours are available, as well specialty tours such as Horseback Safari, Zipline Tours, and even a Fishing Safari, with specialty tours starting at $30.
Plan Your Summer Adventure
There are plenty of adventures to enjoy at The Wilds. You and your family to explore habitats including forests, wetlands, streams or lakes that most visitors to The Wilds never get to see. Get outside and explore nature this summer with an experience guided by our Conservation Education team as you discover some of the most beautiful areas at The Wilds.
Options include: Daytime Hike, Stream Exploration, Lake Canoeing, and Evening Hike
Prices range from $12 – $18 per person, depending on adventure.
Available Tuesdays and Thursdays through August 13.
AZA Discount currently suspended.
Are you a member of an AZA organziation, including the Columbus Zoo? You’ll receive a 50% discount on an Open Air Safari Tour offered to members of reciprocal AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums) institutions with valid and current membership card. AZA membership discounts not offered on specialty tours or programs (for example, camps, Winter on the Wilds).
For additional information or to check on availability, you may also contact email@example.com.
Other articles of interest
- Free outdoor movies around Columbus this Summer
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- Food freebies, delivery, and cheap eats in Columbus
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Easton Drive-in Movies Sunset Series
- Explore the Magical Fairy Trail in Granville
- Details about Splash Pads in Columbus for 2020
- Columbus Zoo Reopening Plan
- Zoombezi Bay Reopening Plan
- Cedar Point Reopening Plan
- Franklin Park Conservatory Reopening Plan
- Best places to pick berries in Columbus
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus