If you’re fascinated with the night sky, stars, and the rest of space out there, don’t miss the free public programs at The Arne Slettebak Planetarium at Ohio State University. Operating since 1968 by the Department of Astronomy, the 63-seat 30-foot dome theater with a state-of-the-art Spitz SciDome XD digital projection system gives exquisite views of the night sky, and takes you on digital journeys to the planets, stars, and distant galaxies.
The Planetarium at Ohio State offers Live Shows, Fulldome Feature Presentations, and occasion special events throughout the academic year, presented by students and faculty in OSU Department of Astronomy or the planetarium director. All live shows are appropriate for children over ages 3-4, as long as they are able to sit quietly in the dark for 40+ minutes. On occasional Saturdays, they offer Kids Edition versions of the regular shows, which are geared towards elementary age children. It’s a great way to introduce kids to Astronomy, or further encourage their interest.
Programs include (find descriptions here):
- Live Show: The Sky Tonight
- Live Show: Voyage Through the Solar System
- Live Show: Icy Birth, Fiery Death: The Life Cycle of Stars
- Fulldome Feature Presentation: Back to the Moon, FOR GOOD
- Fulldome Feature Presentation: Chasing the Ghost Particle
- Fulldome Feature Presentation: Two Small Pieces of Glass
- Fulldome Feature Presentation: Oasis in Space
Advanced registration is recommended, as many programs sell out. Reservations can only be made a week in advance, but often sell out within 24 hours, so be sure to check the Eventbrite page regularly. You do not need to print out tickets; they will check you in upon arrival.
Upcoming shows at the Planetarium at Ohio State
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
- 7PM – Icy Birth, Fiery Death: The Life Cycle of Stars
Tuesday, November 12, 2019
- 7PM – Voyage Through the Solar System
Tuesday, November 19, 2019
- 7PM – The Sky Tonight
The Arne Slettebak Planetarium is located on the 5th floor of Smith Laboratory on the OSU main campus in Columbus, Ohio.
172 W 19th Ave
Columbus Ohio, 43210
Phone: 614 292-1773