Festival Latino switches to a virtual format for 2020. CAPA will host a week-long, Latin-American online experience called ¡Viva Festival Latino. Each day August 3-9, check out the Festival Latino website or Facebook page for a series of online cultural events and activities.
Scroll below for some suggestions for great Latin Cuisine in Columbus!
About Festival Latino!
Festival Latino is typically held in Genoa Park near downtown in August from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. Since 1996 the Festival Latino has been providing Columbus the opportunity to experience traditional and contemporary Latin American culture and is now the largest Latin event in Ohio.
The annual festival features performing and visual arts, educational workshops, kids’ area, and amazing cuisine. Attendees enjoy musical performances Saturday and Sunday night, including nationally-known artists.
Dance is a big part of the festival, with salsa lessons, dance performances at the Dance Plaza, and dancing to the live music at the Main Stage. The Marketplace features Ohio-based Latin artists, plus the Author’s Showcase, Health and Wellness area, and Community Resources area.
The free children’s area features balloon artists, activities with COSI, creating Mexican flower crafts, Columbus-area mascots, and other crafting projects. Looking for a craft to do at home since the festival won’t be held in 2020? These Mexican Paper Flowers are beautiful and easy to make with tissue paper and pipe cleaner!
Latino food is a big part of Festival Latino. While you won’t be able to enjoy the authentic cuisine at the festival this year, try your hand with a recipe at home. Here’s a basic recipe for Arepas. Better yet, support local business and visit one of these amazing Latino restaurants in Columbus for carryout.
Latin Cuisine in Columbus
- Arepazo (Brewery District and Gahanna)
- Los Guachos Taqueria (Sawmill and Gahanna) Try the taco al pastor!
- Los Galapagos (West Columbus)
- Choripan Argentine Grill (Dublin) 100% Grain and Gluten Free!
- Casa Hacienda Grill (E. Dublin Granville Rd. and Hamilton Rd)
- La Fronterita Restaurant (Morse Rd)
- Sidebar Columbus (Downtown Columbus)
- Si Senor (Downtown Columbus and Grandview)
- Exotic Latin Grill (17th Ave)
- Dos Hermanos (North Market; food truck location varies)
- La Plaza Tapatia (Broad/Georgesville)
- Cuco’s Taqueria (Henderson Rd)
If you have other favorites, we are happy to add to this list!
photo credit via Festival Latino Flickr
Looking for other festival fun? Check out this huge list of festivals around Columbus and Central Ohio.
Other articles of interest
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- Free outdoor movies around Columbus this Summer
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Easton Drive-in Movies Sunset Series
- Explore the Magical Fairy Trail in Granville
- Details about Splash Pads in Columbus for 2020
- Best places to pick berries in Columbus
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus