Cancel that gym membership – getting fit can be free and fun! There are over 15 options for free fitness classes each week and nearly unlimited guided hikes around Columbus. Grab a fitness buddy and enjoy all of the options for free fitness in Columbus. You’re more likely to stick to it if you have a friend for accountability, and it’ll be more fun to be social while you sweat!
Whether you’re looking for yoga, dance, cardio, or bootcamp – you’ll find lots of options here! If exploring nature is more your cup of tea, you’ll find dozens of hikes this summer with Columbus Metro Parks for all levels.
Fill in your calendar with the following options for free hikes, yoga, and fitness in Columbus, and make a commitment to healthy habits.
Various Days each week
Columbus Commons Weekly Fitness Classes: Session 1: April 30 through May 29 (No class on May 4 or May 11)
Session 2: July 30 through September 28 (No classes on August 10, August 17, August 24, September 10, September 11 or September 24)
MetroPark Hikes: There are nearly 20 Columbus MetroParks around Columbus offering free hikes all week long. There are various hikes for all levels, hikes for families, ages 50 and over, pet hikes, and more.
Roller Skating in Columbus (admission applies, but many discounts are available)
- Skate America in Grove City: Great pricing and plenty of discounts
- Skate Zone 71 near Morse Rd: Tons of skate parties with character visits. Little kids skate is on Saturday mornings. There are also discounted days, young teen nights, and adult nights, and more
- United Skates of America on Refugee Rd: Lots of family skates, character skates and discount days
Active fun for kids and teens: Scroll down for the active fun section, including trampoline parks, indoor swimming, open gym, and more (admission applies for most).
SilverSneakers®: Health and fitness program designed for adults 65+ that’s included with many Medicare Advantage Plans. Membership includes access to every participating gym and fitness center in the network. That’s a membership at more than 15,000 locations, plus fitness classes for all abilities led by SilverSneakers trained instructors at gyms and other locations. There’s a Silver Sneakers App too!
Relaxing Yoga at Blendon Woods select Mondays, 6:30 – 7: 30 on April 22, May 20. More dates to be added. FREE
Tuesdays in Summer only:
Yoga at Partner’s Park in Marysville: 11:30 am – 12 pm The Union County Family YMCA’s certified instructors will be conducting yoga classes at Partners Park on June 11th, July 9th, and August 13th. The classes are free. Child care is available for $1.00/child (cash only, please bring exact change).
Crushing it Columbus: Wednesdays at 6:15am, at stairs behind COSI in Downtown Columbus for a combo of cardio and strength training. Free; all levels welcome.
Wednesday in Spring/Summer only
Tai Chi at Partner’s Park in Marysville: 11:30 am – 12 pm – The Union County Family YMCA’s certified instructors will be conducting Tai Chi classes at Partners Park on June 19, July 17th and August 14th. The classes are free. Child care is available for $1.00/child (cash only, please bring exact change).
Free Yoga on the Square at Easton: Every Friday from June through September, do a little yoga al fresco at the Easton Town Center Town Square from 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Brought to you by Life Time Fitness, this basic yoga class is designed for beginner and mainstream fitness participants to focus on strength, conditioning and flexibility.
Walk with a Doc at Highbanks: Held every Saturday at 8:30 a.m. this walking program for everyone interested in taking steps for a healthier lifestyle. Dr. Sabgir of Mount Carmel Clinical Cardiovascular Specialists will lead the walk featuring blood pressure checks, pedometers, healthy snacks, recipes and information to make better lifestyle changes, and opportunities to talk with the docs. Walks will be indoor at the Polaris Mall in the cooler months. There are lots of other Walks with a Doc around Columbus too!
- Walk with a Doc from Grace Clinic at Mingo Park or Willis Education Center in Delaware, OH on the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 12:00 PM (noon)
- Walk with a Doc from Worthingon Pediatrics at Coffman Park in Dublin, OH Every Thursday @ 10:00 AM (rain, snow, or sun)
- Walk with a Doc at Hilliard Ray Patch Family YMCA on the last Tuesday of every month @ 1:30 pm
- Walk with a Doc from Memorial Hospital in Marysville at the YMCA on the 2nd Friday of each month @ 8:00 AM or 4th Thursday of each month @ 6:00 PM ** **No Thursday walks in January, February, November, or December
- Walk with a Doc from St. Ann’s Family Medicine at Sharon Woods Metro Park on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of every month @ 8:30 a.m)
- Walk with us on the Far East Side at Big Walnut Park or Far East Community Center on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays @ 8:30 a.m, April – November 10
- Walk with us on the North Side at Woodward Park & Community Center on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. April – November 10
- Walk with us on the South Side at Marion Franklin Community Center on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. April – November 10
- Walk with us on the West Side at Dodge Park and Community Center on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays @ 8:30 a.m, April – November 10
- Walk with Future Docs at the Park of Roses on the last Saturday of every month @ 9AM March-October
- Walk with a Doc in UA from OSU Family Practice at UA Senior Center on every Wednesday @ 5:30 PM
(April – October 2018)
Yoga in the Park at Battelle Darby Creek: Enjoy some peace out in nature with free Yoga in the Park on the second Saturday of the month at 11:30 a.m. Class is appropriate for all levels; teens and up.
Saturdays in Spring/Summer only
Yoga at the Church, Every Saturday from 10:00am-11:00am. Free weekly hatha yoga. A monetary or food donation is appreciated for the church’s needs and Food Pantry. No RSVP. Just show up 5-10 minutes before class with a yoga mat/or large towel and water. For people new to yoga or wanting additional support, if able, two blocks and a strap also recommended (Note: a small towel can be used in place of straps for most poses). Kirkersville United Methodist Church, 180 E. Main St., Kirkersville, OH 43033.
Free Fitness with Motivation at the Station: Every Saturday, June through August, enjoy a morning yoga and fitness series in Hilliard’s Station Park featuring local instructors! All classes start at 8 a.m. and are 50 minutes. No class July 7.
Free Sunday Funday Yoga at lululemon: Take a free yoga or fitness class at lululemon Easton and Polaris on Sunday mornings.
Free Fitness Classes at Athleta Easton: Athleta offers free fitness classes and events throughout the month; check calendar for details.
Can’t get out of the house?
YouTube: There are tons and tons and tons of fitness videos on YouTube. Whether you want yoga, kickboxing, calisthenics, or something else, you’ll find it on YouTube. Stick with the ones with tons of followers, likes, and positive reviews, so you don’t waste your time.
Fitness apps: There’s an app for that! There are plenty of free exercise apps on iTunes or GooglePlay. Popular exercise apps include 30 Day Fitness Challenge, 7 Minute Workout, and more. Download the app, commit to opening it once a day, and do SOMETHING! Even a little bit of exercise will help!
Do you know of any other free fitness in Columbus? Let me know in the comments, or send me an email at news@columbusonthecheap.
Mark your calendar for some upcoming fitness classes in Columbus!
Monday, July 22, 2019
Tuesday, July 23, 2019
Wednesday, July 24, 2019
Thursday, July 25, 2019
Friday, July 26, 2019
Saturday, July 27, 2019
Sunday, July 28, 2019
Monday, July 29, 2019
Tuesday, July 30, 2019
Wednesday, July 31, 2019
Free Week of Yoga during National Yoga Month in September: Yoga Health Foundation is offering a Yoga Month Card that is good for one week of FREE yoga for new clients at one of 1,600 local studios across the country.
Send-tember Free Clinics at Vertical Adventures: Free Clinics and fun events at all three facilities through the month and $5 grand opening special on September 8 at the Chambers location
Winter Fitness Options
Sledding Hills in Columbus: Sledding may seem like more fun than fitness, but you’re sure to feel all of the uphill walking in your legs the next day. It totally counts (and burns calories), so hit these hills when it snows!
Indoor and Outdoor Ice Skating in Columbus: Once you get your legs under you, you’ll get a great workout! Indoor ice rinks have sessions year round. (admission applies to indoor sessions)
Columbus Metro Parks Winter Hike Series: Take guided hikes of 1-7 miles in different Metro parks each weekend in January and February.