Most kids love picking out new back-to-school clothing and shoes every summer. Can you imagine being a school-aged child and having to start school with worn out, ill-fitting clothing? The lack of proper clothing is a main reason why children miss school. New clothes help improve self-esteem, and self-esteem helps children do better at school. Charity Newsies has worked to empower children since 1907, by helping clothe more than 500,000 children in Columbus and Franklin County.
Charity Newsies Changes for 2020
Charity Newsies is gearing up for the school year by filling its warehouse with new pants, shirts, coats and school uniform essentials. In 2020, all applications to receive school clothing will be taken online, beginning August 3. Additionally, children won’t be able to try on clothing this year. Clothing will be distributed curbside to your car (so it’s important to have correct measurements/sizes, slightly too big is always better than too small!).
“Since most of the schools in central Ohio begin classes in August, we recognized that in order for more students to receive their new school clothes/uniforms and shoes before the first day of classes, we needed to take applications early in the summer,” said Tony Perez, Charity Newsies’ Board Chair.
Charity Newsies School Clothing Program
Charity Newsies outfits students enrolled in public, parochial, charter and vocational schools throughout Franklin County. Any child in need should apply for clothing assistance.
Applications are ONLINE ONLY for 2020, beginning August 3.
Eligibility for Charity Newsies Free School Clothing Program
- Children and Guardian must reside in Franklin County, Ohio.
- Children must be enrolled and attending school, grades K – 12 (public, private, catholic or charter)
- Children in kindergarten or any child 16 and older must obtain a current letter from their school verifying enrollment and attendance. The verification letter must be presented at the time of the clothing appointment. Children who are 16 and older must present a picture ID.
Application process for free school clothing
You must gather this information BEFORE you start the application process
- Last 4 digits of Social Security Number of parent or legal guardian
- Last 4 digits of Social Security Number of each child to be clothed
- Know the name of the school your child(ren) will be attending
- Have the sizes that the children wear. This is the biggest change for 2020 and is the most important. There are no returns or exchanges, and they will not be able to try on at (curbside) pickup. Make sure you provide sizes for tops, bottoms, undergarments, socks, and shoes. Gather waist measurements and inseams for children who wear men’s size pants (tip: measure where the waistband sits for waist size, and measure from the groin/inner thigh to the inside of foot, or designed length, for inseam. If your child is in between sizes, or has been in the same size for a long time and expected to grow, you may want to size up (pants and cuffs can be rolled).
Pick up details
Clothing pickup with be curbside only in 2020. You will not be able to pick out clothing or try on. After you submit your online application, you’ll get an email with an appointment date and time within 3 business days. Children do NOT need to come for the scheduled pick up time. You will remain in your car. Vouchers will still be provided for uniforms.
More details will be available closer to the registration date.
One hundred percent of financial donations help purchase new clothing. Learn more about events that benefit this program and how to get involved at www.charitynewsies.org or call (614) 263-4300.
photos via Charity Newsies
4300 Indianola Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43214
Other articles of interest
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Sunflower Fields in Columbus
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- Free outdoor movies around Columbus this Summer
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Easton Drive-in Movies Sunset Series
- Explore the Magical Fairy Trail in Granville
- Details about Splash Pads in Columbus for 2020
- Best places to pick berries in Columbus
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus
See other back to school events below!
Sunday, August 9, 2020
Monday, August 10, 2020
Tuesday, August 11, 2020
Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Thursday, August 13, 2020
Friday, August 14, 2020
Saturday, August 15, 2020
Sunday, August 16, 2020
Monday, August 17, 2020
Tuesday, August 18, 2020
Wednesday, August 19, 2020
Thursday, August 20, 2020
Friday, August 21, 2020
Saturday, August 22, 2020
Sunday, August 23, 2020
Monday, August 24, 2020
Tuesday, August 25, 2020
Wednesday, August 26, 2020
Thursday, August 27, 2020
Friday, August 28, 2020
Saturday, August 29, 2020
Sunday, August 30, 2020
Monday, August 31, 2020
Tuesday, September 1, 2020
Wednesday, September 2, 2020
Thursday, September 3, 2020
Friday, September 4, 2020
Saturday, September 5, 2020
Monday, September 7, 2020
Thursday, September 10, 2020
Friday, September 11, 2020
Monday, September 14, 2020
Thursday, September 17, 2020
Friday, September 18, 2020
Monday, September 21, 2020