Public libraries are a huge resource for free and cheap events and resources in any city, but the Columbus Metropolitan Library wants to reward everyone just for reading this summer.
The Summer Reading Challenge runs from June 1 though July 31, 2022 to encourage people of all ages to read, from babies to adults.
Main Library Summer Reading Challenge Kickoff Party
The main library is kicking off the Summer Reading Challenge with a party on Saturday, June 4 from 11 am – 1 pm. Activities include a family concert, petting zoo, characters, and so much more!
- 11:15 a.m. Eric Litwin in Concert in the Reading Room (second floor). First-come, first served seating starts at 10:45 a.m. Dance, sing and read at a free family concert that brings literacy and music together. Eric Litwin is the author of the original four Pete the Cat books, The Nuts and Groovy Joe.
- 12 p.m. Bring the Farm to You on Grant Plaza (front lawn). Enjoy an interactive, real-life farm experience with chickens, ducks, turkeys, rabbits, sheep, goats and pigs.
- Ohio LEGO Users Group display
- Meet Lou Seal, the Columbus, Clippers mascot
- Meet Pete the Cat and Elephant & Piggie
- Take a selfie with Star Wars Characters
Other fun includes a live DJ, games and games for kids and teens, family-tree making, refreshments, raffles, and more.
Main Library | 96 S. Grant Ave.
Free parking in attached garage
CML neighborhood branches are hosting kick-off parties from June 1-4; see dates below, and check with staff for details.
CML Summer Reading Challenge
The program is divided into four age categories, each with different rewards and prize opportunities for 30 days of reading (15 minutes per day).
Signups begin online on June 1. Pick up your signup prize at any CML location.
The complete the Challenge:
- Read 15 minutes a day for 15 days for a Coupon Sheet.
- Read 15 minutes a day for 30 days to receive a Free Book and Raffle Entry.
- Finish Mission Challenges to earn extra Raffle Entries for gift cards, COSI tickets, and a grand prize Kings Island Prize Pack!
Summer Reading Challenge reading minutes and activities must be completed and entered online by July 31.
Check out the website for additional information and prizes, including gift card raffles, coupons, and more. Adults can join the Challenge too, so sign up the whole family!
Register for the online Summer Reading Challenge
Login at columbuslibrary.org/summerreading OR
Download the Summer Reading Challenge app, powered by READsquared:
It’s free for both Android and mobile devices. Choose Columbus Metropolitan Library from the dropdown menu. Note: To log in, the app will ask for username and password that you will create on your own.
Get a library card for free if you don’t already have one. You’ll get access to all of the resources and branches of Columbus Metropolitan Library!
Other Summer Reading Challenge kick off parties
Check with your branch, or see calendar for details.
Wednesday, June 1
- Gahanna: 10:00am – 12:00pm
- Southeast: 2:00pm – 4:00pm
- Canal Winchester: 2:00pm – 4:00pm
- Dublin: 2:00pm – 5:00pm
- Martin Luther King: 3:00pm – 6:00pm
- Linden: 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- Parsons: 4:00pm – 6:00pm
Thursday, June 2
- Reynoldsburg: 1:00pm – 4:00pm
- Franklinton: 3:00pm – 5:00pm
- Barnett: 4:00pm – 6:00pm
Friday, June 3
- Karl Road: 12:00pm – 1:00pm
- Hilltop: 2:00pm – 4:00pm
- Northern Lights: 2:30pm – 6:00pm
- Driving Park: 3:00pm – 5:00pm
Saturday, June 4
- New Albany: 10:00am – 12:00pm
- Northside: 12:00pm – 2:00pm
- Shepard: 1:00pm – 3:00pm
- Hilltop: 2:00pm – 4:00pm
- South High: 2:00pm – 4:00pm
Want more rewards for reading? Check out over Free Summer Reading Programs around Columbus!