There are plenty of summer reading programs in Columbus, but cold and snowy weather in winter is a perfect reason for students to keep up with reading. Columbus Metropolitan Library is holding the Winter Reading Challenge, in which students can earn prizes just by reading during winter.
Winter Reading Challenge helps to keep reading skills strong when students are out of school over the holidays. This year’s Winter Reading Challenge will be all-virtual due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All 23 CML locations are open for Curbside and Walk-Up services only.
Earn 6 Super Winter Reader badges by completing 6 reading activities of your choice. The required 6 hours of reading are built into the activities. Once kids complete the activities, they’ll earn a book, bookmark, mechanical pencil, a Raising Cane’s coupon and a Donatos coupon booklet. They will be mailed to the mailing address you provide when you sign up.
Last winter, the program’s debut saw nearly 6,900 registrations and more than 2,800 completions.
Studies show that kids who read during out-of-school time maintain reading skills that are critical to future school success. The Third Grade Reading Guarantee in Ohio means many central Ohio third graders could repeat the grade if they don’t pass state proficiency testing.
The libraries offer several young reading programs to ensure that your young readers will be ready for the 3rd grade proficiency tests. They also offer tons of programs for kids and teens, including homework help, tech groups, special events, and more. Check your local library for great free programming (there’s plenty for adults too)! Programs are currently virtual.
Other articles of interest
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus and upcoming garden events
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- Discounted and Free Museum Days in Columbus
- Find over 125 free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Huge list of Happy Hours all over Columbus
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus