Located in the rolling hills northeast of Columbus is a stunning property featuring 75 acres manicured lawns, 10 lakes, themed gardens, sculptures, waterfalls, and more, surrounding a spectacular Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired home designed by Ted and Ann Schnormeier.
Schnormeier Gardens is only open to the public on select dates in June each year, so you’ll want to make a plan to visit while you can to experience the peaceful beauty.
“Our gardens have a distinct Asian flavor and feature a variety of plantings rich in color and texture. Rare conifers are plentiful here. Large boulders and stone walls add dimension and contrast to the landscape. Designed with a bold vision and attention to detail, the gardens offer delightful viewing in any season.”
The Schnormeier Gardens include
- Chinese Cup Garden
- Waterfalls Garden
- Stream Garden
- Serenity Garden
- Woodland Garden
- Hosta Garden
- Quarry Garden
- Meadow Garden
- Japanese Garden
In addition to the natural beauty and lakes, you’ll find a Japanese teahouse, garden house, Chinese pavilion and arched bridge, along with a collection of unique sculptures.
The Schnormeier Residence, the Main House, was inspired by Fallingwater by Frank Lloyd Wright. Instead of being stacked up like Fallingwater, the home is stretched out and designed to resemble a Japanese village. The Main House is closed to the public.
Details for the 2021 Schnormeier Gardens Open House
Due to the Schnormeier Gardens overwhelming turnout in 2020, reservations will be required to visit the gardens in 2021. To ensure the best experience the Schnormeier’s designed the Gardens to share, they will only be accept reservations for 40 vehicles at 10:00 AM and 40 at 1:00 PM for every Thursday through Sunday for the month of June. Reservations will be $35 per vehicle with unlimited occupants. Book your tickets on the website.
You will receive a receipt on your smartphone and is the ONLY ticket for entry. IMPORTANT NOTE: NO CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO YOUR RESERVATIONS AND NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE.
Reminder, gardens are only open to the public on designated dates each year; do not visit at other times. Reservations are required for 2021.
With over 75 acres, there is plenty of room to spread out from other visitors.
Rules for visiting the gardens
- Wheelchairs or wheeled vehicles are not permitted as the gardens are quite hilly and there are no paved paths
- No dogs
- No Picnics anywhere on the property.
- Watch small children at all times. The lakes are deep and the banks are steep.
- The wet rocks are very slippery. Don’t cross the streams or walk in them. Do not throw rocks in the water.
- No smoking
- Do not pick flowers; but feel free to take photos.
- There are no paved paths, wear comfortable shoes to walk through grass
I encourage you to explore the website before your visit. I truly enjoyed reading about the process (and mishaps) they share as they created this stunning property. You can tell that it was built with love, and we are fortunate that they open it up to the public each year.
If you want to dine locally before or after your visit to the gardens, they have compiled a list of restaurants. Be sure to check restaurant websites for current hours and rules for dining.
8701 Laymon Road
Gambier, Ohio 43022
This is private property, so DO NOT attempt to visit the gardens during other times of the year.
Other articles of interest
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Great places for creeking in Columbus
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus
- Best places to pick berries in Columbus
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus
- Best Places for Canoeing and Kayaking in Columbus
- Get started with Disc Golf in Columbus at these great courses
- Food freebies, delivery, and cheap eats in Columbus
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio
Gambier, OH 43022