Since 1932, State Auto Insurance downtown has set up the State Auto Christmas Corner and Life-Sized Nativity.
Over the summer, State Auto gifted the storied display to the Museum of Catholic Art and History. In addition to a new owner, the nativity will also have a new name, Nativity at Cathedral Square, and a new downtown location at St. Joseph Cathedral.
The nativity scene is recognized around the world for its beauty and attention to artistic and historic detail. This story of Christmas is a tradition that is loved by many.
Nativity at Cathedral Square
The Nativity at Cathedral Square is on display at St. Joseph Cathedral (212 East Broad Street) starting Friday, November 24, 2023, following a formal dedication ceremony.
In keeping with its rich tradition, the nativity scene will be available for all to view and enjoy nightly during the holiday season.
On Fridays and Saturdays the museum is open in the evening from 6-9 pm for guests to see nearly 300 Nativities from all over the world representing different cultures. There are also photos with Santa Clause during the weekend hours. Museum admission required to see nativities and Santa. The outdoor nativity is free to visit; donations accepted.
Nativity at Cathedral Square Lighting times
November 24, 2023 – early January 2024
Daily from 6 a.m. – 8 a.m.; 5:00 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.; until 12:30 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays
Christmas Eve: 3:00 p.m. until 8 a.m. Christmas Day.
- 11/25 6:00 Gospel Vocal Ensemble of CSCC
- 12/1 7:00 Ohio Dominican University Treble Chorus
- 12/2 7:30 Signs of Christmas
- 12/2 8:00 The Entertainers
- 12/8 6:30 Matt Munhall
- 12/8 7:00 Urban Strings
- 12/9 6:00 Brass Band of Columbus
- 12/9 7:00 Maennerchor/Damenchor
- 12/9 8:00 Indianola Presbyterian Church
- 12/10 3:00 Lessons and Carols St. Josephs Cathedral Choir
- 12/15 7:00 J London
- 12/15 8:00 Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 12/16 6:00 Bishop Watterson Choir
- 12/16 7:00 Bishop Watterson Woodwind ensemble
- 12/16 7:30 Bishop Watterson Brass ensemble
- 12/16 8:00 Combined Choirs of St. Dominic and the community of St. John Holy Rosary & St John Catholic Churches
- 12/22 6:00 St Mathews Choir
- 12/23 7:00 Grove City Chamber Singers
- 12/30 7:30 J London
- 1/5 7:00 Una Voce
- 1/5 8:00 Early Interval. Tickets need to be purchased for this event
Nativities from Around the World
November 24, 2023 – January 8, 2024
Interested in more nativities? Check out the Museum of Catholic Art and History across the street to view almost 500 nativities, including a 4000 piece Fontanini collection.
After the lighting of the display, check out the other downtown light displays