Catch a movie at the South Drive-in Theatre in Columbus this summer! Drive-in movies are a perfect option for safe, summertime entertainment. Make it a date or bring the family – they offer movies for everyone to enjoy.
The only remaining drive-in theatre in Columbus, the South has been going strong since 1950. This is a twin drive-in theatre, so there are 2 screens each showing 2 movies per night – with 3 movies on occasion. The concession stand is highly rated and very reasonably priced, so make sure you arrive hungry!
Typically open from March-October; they are open for weekends only (to start)! Changes for 2020 include reduced capacity so cars can park further away from each other. They will also implement increased space in concession and bathroom lines, and frequent cleaning. You’ll also be able to pay in advance online, or at the gate. Masks will be required when interacting with staff or other guests, at the gate, and to go to the concession stand and restrooms. Online concession ordering will be available. Note, online ticket and food ordering will be available soon. Hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes will be provided.
Tickets for South Drive-in Theatre
- Adults ages (12+) are admitted for $9.50 each on Friday and Saturday nights and holiday eves, and $7.50 on all other nights.
- $2 per child ages 5-11. Free for 4 and under.
Upcoming movie schedule at South Drive-In
Note: this is typically a first-run theatre, but due to production company closures, movies won’t all be new releases this season.
Gate opens at 7 pm on Friday and Saturday nights, and 730 pm on Sunday night. They suggest arrive at least 1.5 hours -2 hours ahead of show time on Friday and Saturday nights, and 1 hour ahead of time on Sunday night.
The admission price is $9.50 for ages 12 and older on Friday & Saturday nights, $7.50 on regular Sunday nights, $2 for ages 5 to 11 every night, and ages 4 and under are free every night..
Special events at South Drive-in
Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani, and Trace Adkins: A Drive-in Concert Experience
Saturday, July 26, 2020 at dusk. This is a pre-recorded concert that will be shown at drive-in theatres across the US on the same night. The artists will not be in attendance, and it’s not a live show. The concert was recorded especially for this event, and won’t be shown otherwise. Tickets are $114.99 per vehicle, with up to 6 people permitted in each vehicle. Locally, this is being shown at South Drive-in, and Pickerington Cinema, though it’s at many other theatres across Ohio and the US. See full details here!
Bert Kreischer’s Hot Summer Nights Drive-In Tour presented by HOTBOX
Friday, August 14 for 2 shows at South Drive-in. This is a LIVE comedy show with Bert and special guests. See full details and rules here. Tickets are priced per number of people in the car, from $110 for 2, up to $190 for 4-5 people in a car (plus fees). Note: this pricing is in line with what a live comedy show would cost ($30-$60), but obviously you’ll pay less per ticket with 5 people in the car. Since this is a live show, despite being a different format, the pricing does seem fair if this is something you are interested in. See details, rules, and purchase tickets at this link.
South Drive-In Flea Market
The South Drive-In is also home to a huge flea market! You’ll find 200 yard sales in one location at the South Drive-in Flea Market. It’s the largest outdoor yard sale and garage sale in Columbus since the 1970s. You’ll find clothing, footwear, housewares and tools, electronics and computers, art and photography. Yard sale pricing on everything for adults and children. Columbus’ giant outdoor yard sale and garage sale dealers also frequently have fresh vegetables and produce.
Spots are open if you want to be a seller. You can set up occasionally, or sell regularly. The cost to be a seller is $10 per space per day on Saturday and Sunday, $6 per space on Wednesday. There is no assigned parking or reserved spaces. You set your merchandise up next to your vehicle.
The Flea Market starts Saturday, May 23, and runs every Sat, Sun, Wed, from 5 am to 1 pm and a special flea market on Memorial Day 5/25 from 5 am to 1 pm. Arrive early for the best finds.
South Drive-In Theatre
3050 S High St.
Columbus, OH 43207
Phone: (614) 491-6771
Find more Drive-in Theatres in Ohio!
Other articles of interest
- Columbus Zoo Reopening Plan
- Zoombezi Bay Reopening Plan
- Cedar Point Reopening Plan
- Franklin Park Conservatory Reopening Plan
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- What’s open in Ohio: Reopening phases and what you need to know
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- Ultimate guide to Columbus restaurants with pickup and delivery
- Food freebies, delivery, and cheap eats in Columbus
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- Farm delivery and CSA’s in Columbus for local produce, meat, and dairy
- Freebies for healthcare workers and frontline employees
- Senior shopping hours in Columbus stores
- Skip the stores: Grocery pickup and delivery in Columbus
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Easton Drive-in Movies Sunset Series
- Explore the Magical Fairy Trail in Granville
- Details about Splash Pads in Columbus for 2020