In an effort to curb food insecurity with kids in Franklin County, there are programs to provide free lunch for kids, and free produce to low income families. The Go, Lunch! Summer Food Program with Columbus Recreation and Parks’ offers free, nutritionally balanced meals during the Summer months at our community centers along with other various locations. There are also Mobile Produce Markets available to provide free produce for eligible low-income families.
Go, Lunch Summer Food Program
Go, Lunch! Summer food program offers kids free, nutritious meals and snacks at hundreds of locations throughout the city.
Many kids receive free or reduced-price breakfasts and lunches during the school year, but don’t have access to quality nutrition during the summer. This amazing program helps bridge that gap and make sure kids aren’t hungry during the summer months. One in four children in Franklin County do not have access to sufficient and nutritious foods…one in four! Go, Lunch! will be serving meals at sites across Franklin County.
Free Summer Meals for Children
Some of the summer meal sites serving lunch this week. Please call to confirm days and time when lunch is served.
- Columbus Metropolitan Library – Karl Rd., 614-645-3642
- Columbus Metropolitan Library- Driving Park, 614-645-3642
- EJs Warrior Karate Academy, 614-999-6361
- Linden Library, 614-645-3642
- Seven Baskets, 614-365-6504
- Columbus Metropolitan Library, South High St., 614-645-3642
- Sharon Woods Day Camp, 614-891-0755
There are many more locations serving lunches! Find other Summer meals at this clickable map – there are 100’s of locations in Central Ohio, including libraries, YMCA’s, apartment complexes, schools, churches, and more.
TEXT “FOOD” to 877-877 to find a nearby site offering free and nutritious meals for children.
All kids are welcome! Participation dates and times vary so it is best to text “FOOD” to 877877. From there, it will ask for an address and provide nearby locations and operating hours. Information and is also available at www.golunch.club or by calling call 1-866-3-HUNGRY. Visit www.GoLunch.club for information, including a map of sites.
Data shows that only 10% of the children who are in the most need of free meals are taking advantage of the summer meal program – and that is heartbreaking. Please spread the word!
Not in Franklin County?
Nutritious free meals are available for children and teens 18 and younger at many locations throughout the nation during the summer while school is out of session with the Summer Food Service Program, funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The free summer meals program helps to ensure that children will receive nutritious meals when school is out for the summer.
Children can enjoy meals in a safe and supervised environment, such as often local schools, community centers, recreation centers, libraries, parks, and faith-based organizations. All children and teens are eligible and no registration is required. Schedule at each site vary for days and hours of meals.
Call the National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-3-HUNGRY or 1-877-8-HAMBRE, or visit the website to find a meal site near you. A representative will help you find food resources near your location.
Mobile Produce Markets
Columbus Recreation and Parks, Columbus City Schools and Mid-Ohio Food Collective have partnered together to bring Mobile Produce Markets offering boxes of free produce to families that qualify.
Mobile Produce Markets are held throughout the summer, a schedule is available at www.golunch.club.
Eligible families (200% or below of the Federal Poverty Level) will receive approximately a one week supply of fresh produce based on the family size. To ensure the safety of residents and volunteers, Mobile Produce Markets are set up as a drive-thru and staffed by volunteers wearing masks and gloves who load the produce directly into the trunk or car.
The collaboration amongst Columbus Recreation and Parks, Columbus City Schools and Mid-Ohio Food Collective was formed to provide free access to nutritious produce during the COVID-19 pandemic. The locations of the Mobile Produce Markets are also Columbus City Schools serving free meals to children.
See upcoming Mobile Produce Markets here.
Share this post – it could really prevent local children from being hungry this summer
Other articles of interest
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- What’s open in Ohio: Reopening phases and what you need to know
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- Ultimate guide to Columbus restaurants with pickup and delivery
- Food freebies, delivery, and cheap eats in Columbus
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- Farm delivery and CSA’s in Columbus for local produce, meat, and dairy
- Freebies for healthcare workers and frontline employees
- Senior shopping hours in Columbus stores
- Skip the stores: Grocery pickup and delivery in Columbus
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Easton Drive-in Movies Sunset Series
- Explore the Magical Fairy Trail in Granville
- Details about Splash Pads in Columbus for 2020