Need to get out of the house for a little fun? Head to the Fairy Trail at Infirmary Park in Granville, Ohio! Take the kids on an adventure through the woods and keep an eye out for fairies as you find all 30 little fairy homes, schools, and businesses. The fairy trail is a must-do this spring and summer before they migrate south in the fall!
To find the fairy trail continue straight as you enter the park. At the T intersection turn left and park at the lake near shelter 6. Follow the pixie dust map around the lake and look for signs as you approach fairy land along the Wildflower Trail. Print off this map and activity sheet to help spot fairies, learn some of their vocabulary, and find some of their favorite friends.
Please note bathroom facilities are closed for the time being, so plan accordingly.
Look up, look down, look all around for fairy dwellings! You’ll find homes, a playground, school, shops, library, inns, “city” buildings, a grumpy old gnome home, and even the tooth fairy house. If you visited last year, you’ll find more (and different) dwellings this year!
Once you finish the trail, we encourage you to go through again! We found places that we missed on the first pass! If the trail is marked as one-way this year, you can always start around the loop again for a 2nd trip.
Remind your children to look, but don’t touch, so they don’t upset the fairies (and for the trail to be enjoyed by future guests).
This free family activity is a great way to spend some time together in nature. You can expect to spend about an hour on the trail if you aren’t rushing, but even up to 2 hours if you go through twice. There are swings and a restroom at the parking area. Check Licking Parks District Facebook page for updates.
The fairy dwellings are spread out enough, so make sure you maintain proper distancing from other groups. It’s hard for kids to not want to run ahead, so please talk to your kids about staying back from other groups.
The trail is open to all during regular park hours and should remain until fall. The fairy trail is located along a dirt and grass path through the woods, so it won’t be a smooth ride for a stroller or wheelchair, but it should be possible to get through.
Fairy Trail details
The Licking Parks District Fairy Trail is located on the Wildflower Trail northeast of Mirror Lake. Follow the signs to the trail from the Shelter 6 parking lot. Signs will direct you along the path to the fairy trail through the woods.
After you are done at the fairy trail, you can walk back the other way around the lake back to the parking lot for a different view of the park.
After you’re done at the Fairy Trail, drive a couple of miles into downtown Granville. Grab some food at Whit’s, Day Y Noche, Taco Dans, or Elm’s Pizza (or one of the other great places), or dessert at Knuckleheads or Whit’s. There’s so much to explore in Granville.
4351 Lancaster Road
Want to search for more fairies? Check out the Irish Fairy Door Trail in downtown Dublin! Find all the doors in the local shops, and earn a prize! You find this adventure, and more, in our Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails roundup.
Other articles of interest
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Sunflower Fields in Columbus
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus
- Creeking in Columbus: Creeks and other water to explore
- Best Places for Canoeing and Kayaking in Columbus
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- Free outdoor movies around Columbus this Summer
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Easton Drive-in Movies Sunset Series
- Explore the Magical Fairy Trail in Granville
- Details about Splash Pads in Columbus for 2020
- Best places to pick berries in Columbus
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus