Everything that we have comes from the Earth, one way or another. Celebrate those gifts and give back with these Earth Day specials and events in Columbus, including volunteer opportunities, free food, parties, kids’ activities, and so much more!
Earth Day in Columbus
Dozens of Earth Day Volunteer opportunities in the weeks leading up to and including Earth Day.
Saturday, April 17, 2021 from 9 am – noon. Please bring your own gloves, tools, and water if you can. Weeding, watering, litter pickup and more. The 13+ gardens are 100% volunteer planted and maintained.
120 W Goodale St, Columbus
Get free Admission on Earth Day, April 22. Spend the day enjoying nature and celebrating Earth Week by exploring the beautiful grounds of The Arboretum. Make your way to the Red Barn Reserve between 12-2pm for a tree giveaway, while supplies last! Due to COVID protocols, reservations are required on the website before visiting. Use promo code EARTHDAY21 when reserving tickets.
Please note, Arboretum capacity is limited and additional tickets will not be available once capacity is reached. Dawes Arboretum members are not required to reserve admission.
National Park Week Free free day on April 17 and other themed activities from April 17-25, 2021.
- April 1 – 30: Earth Day Poster Contest
- Saturday, April 10: Document Destruction Day
- Saturday, April 24: Create Your Own Native Garden Drive-Thru Event (registration required)
- Saturday, April 24: Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Saturday, May 8: Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day details
DCRC is hosting other fun events to celebrate being outdoors. Check website for details and registration for the below activities and more Spring fun.
Get outdoors this spring with the DCRC! You do not need to be a member to register; registration required
- April 3 – 18: Hide & Seek Scavenger Hunt: Sunrise to sunset at Coffman Park. Register
- April 14 and 28: Storybook Forest at the Art Stable in Coffman Park
- April 14 – May 5: Can you Dig It? at DCRC
- April 17: Spring Hike Series at Indian Run Falls Park at 10 a.m.
- April 21: Family Fishing Fun at DCRC Pond in Coffman Park from 6 to 7 p.m.
- April 22: Twilight Trek on Earth Day at Kiwanis Riverway Park from 7 to 8 p.m.
On April 22, at Northstar Cafe, 100% of your Northstar veggie burger or Brassica vegan chocolate chip cookie purchase will go towards sustaining the Team Member Relief Fund. The fund was started with last year’s Earth Day festivities. They were able to designate over $32,000 which has been distributed over the last year to 25 teammates to help with medical bills, COVID relief, car accidents and other devastating, unplanned expenses.
Hillard Virtual Earth Week: April 17th – April 24th 2021
Hilliard ESC is proud to be hosting a virtual Earth Week in April of 2021(#HilliardEarthWeek)! See all details for the below events at this link!
- Earth Week Recycling Drive: April 17th, 2021 10am – Noon.
- For All Species Education: Saturday, April 24th at 11:00 am. Live virtual program with Dr. Diana Huang of For All Species Education. Meet the ambassador animals and ask questions.
- Community Backyards Conservation Class and Rebate Program: Register now for the Franklin County the first virtual Community Backyards class of 2021 on Earth Day! Franklin County residents who qualify will receive a $25 or $50 rebate for conservation items in their backyard, such as a rain barrel or native landscaping plant. For more information, visit http://www.communitybackyards.org/
- Hilliard Earth Week Cleanup: Everyone is encouraged to do at least one clean up in the community during Earth Week. Parks and neighborhoods are excellent places to pick up trash and inspire others in the community to do the same. Take a picture and post it on social media with the hashtag #HilliardEarthWeek.
- Earth Day Tree Bingo: Play a game of Tree Bingo with the Hilliard Recreation & Parks Department during the month of April. Stop by the Hilliard Community Center front desk between April 17-24 for your tree bingo card and instructions, April 17 – 24. Go out to your favorite Hilliard Park and identify the trees. Masks required on city property.
- Homestead Metro Park Scavenger Hunt: Bring your pod to Homestead Metro Park for an Earth Week Scavenger Hunt! Have fun at your convenience finding sixteen in-park items and marking them off your scavenger list, which you can download here. Remember: Take Only Memories, Leave Only Footprints.
ODNR Nature Games
This Earth week, enjoy exploring the great outdoors with these three ODNR nature games!
ODNR Wild & Scenic Rivers
Check out the ODNR Ohio’s Wild & Scenic Rivers webinar series featuring Division of Natural Areas & Preserves staff! Scenic Rivers staff share captivating information about our rivers and the creatures who inhabit them.
Use the new Scenic Rivers Kid’s Activity Book to go along with them
- Part 1 Role of a River: Introduction to the Scenic Rivers and Why Clean Water Matters. Watch
- Part 2 Hunting for Waterbugs: What Bugs Tell Us About Water Quality Watch
- Part 3 Waterbug Superpowers: Bug Identification and Their Tricks for Underwater Survival Watch
- Part 4 Welcome to the Riparian Zone: Why Rivers Need Trees Watch
Sunday, April 25 from 1-6 pm. Celebrate Earth Day with The Crest with an all-vegetarian Earth Day BBQ! You won’t miss the meat! $25 per plate includes choice of sandwich, cob of corn, 2 sides, dessert, and a drink (see menu options).
You’ll also enjoy open outdoor seating, live music, free and plants! Mask required when not eating or drinking.
Subaru helps keep hard-to-recycle trash out of landfills and turning it into useful things for our community, like park benches, bike racks, and flower pots. Since 2018, this partnership has kept over 5,000,000 pieces of trash out of local landfills with the TerraCycle Zero-Waste® Box
Deposit your hard-to-recycle trash in the TerraCycle bins anytime throughout the year at Subaru retailers. The accepted items include:
- Disposable cups, lids, and straws
- Candy and snack wrappers
- Coffee, tea, and creamer capsules
Let us know of other Earth Day celebrations, events, and deals…and check out more in the calendar below!
Other articles of interest
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Great places for creeking in Columbus
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus
- Best places to pick berries in Columbus
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus
- Best Places for Canoeing and Kayaking in Columbus
- Get started with Disc Golf in Columbus at these great courses
- Food freebies, delivery, and cheap eats in Columbus
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- Farm delivery and CSA’s in Columbus for local produce, meat, and dairy
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio