Get out of the house during nice weather and spend a couple of hours at Olentangy Indian Caverns just north of Columbus. If it’s your first time there, you’ll wonder why you’ve never gone before!
The main feature of the attraction are the Caverns that were formed millions of years ago by an underground river. The caverns consist of winding passages and spacious underground rooms that have been determined to have been used by the Wyandotte Indians as a haven from the weather and from their enemies, the Delaware Indians.
The levels are 55 ft, 75 ft, and 105 ft deep and stay at 54 degrees year round (bring a jacket). Artifacts and arrowheads found in the caverns are on display in the museum. Tours are $6.95 – $9.95; children 2 and under are free. All tours are self-guided and take about 35 minutes to complete. You need to be able to climb 54 stairs to get into and out of the caverns.
Even if you don’t explore the caverns, there’s plenty to do, including outdoor play structures and lawn games, gem mining ($6.99-$24.99), mini golf ($3), treasure hunt maze ($5), and the highlight for my kids is the huge Animal Encounters Petting Zoo (just $4 per person). They loved feeding the friendly animals and frolicking with them inside the enclosure.
You can also explore the nature trails, check out the gift shop, and bring a picnic to eat in the shelter house.
Updates for 2020
- Face masks must be worn at all times in the caverns and the petting zoo. If you don’t have a mask you can purchase one in the gift shop
- All tours will be self guided for the 2020 season
- Foot traffic in the Petting zoo and Gift Shop is now one way. Please follow the signs
- Use the new service window to purchase
- Cavern Admission
- Petting Zoo Admission
- Treasure Hunt Maze Admission
- Mini Golf
- Gem Mining Bags
Please use the window to purchase everything listed. Gift shop merchandise can still be purchased inside the gift shop
Like the Facebook page to stay up-to-date on the fun for the year.
Open 7 days a week from May 15 – October 31, 2020, from 9:30am – 5pm
Olentangy Indian Caverns
1779 Home Rd
Delaware, Ohio 43015
Other articles of interest
- Virtual Events Calendar
- Stuck at home? On demand and Virtual Events and Entertainment
- Virtual tours, on demand videos and live streams for kids
- Fun and Free Educational Resources for Kids
- Community resources and activities in Columbus during Coronavirus cancellations
- Ultimate guide to Columbus restaurants with pickup and delivery
- Ways to get cocktails, beer, and wine delivery in Columbus
- Food freebies, delivery, and cheap eats in Columbus
- Pre-order Farmers Markets goods from vendors offering pickup/delivery
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- Farm delivery and CSA’s in Columbus for local produce, meat, and dairy
- Schools and restaurants offering free lunch for kids
- Freebies for healthcare workers and frontline employees
- Senior shopping hours in Columbus stores
- Skip the stores: Grocery pickup and delivery in Columbus
- DIY Take and Make Kits in Columbus
- Virtual offerings with the Wexner Center for the Arts
Delaware, OH 43015