Get out of the house and spend a couple of hours at Olentangy Indian Caverns just north of Columbus. If it’s your first time there, you’ll wonder why you’ve never gone before! I can’t wait to head back during the cooler fall weather. But if you’re going to explore the caverns, it’s always cool down there – even on the hottest days!
The main feature of the attraction are the Caverns that were formed millions of years ago by an underground river. The caverns consist of winding passages and spacious underground rooms that have been determined to have been used by the Wyandotte Indians as a haven from the weather and from their enemies, the Delaware Indians.
The levels are 55 ft, 75 ft, and 105 ft deep and stay at 54 degrees year round (bring a jacket). Artifacts and arrowheads found in the caverns are on display in the museum. Tours are $6.95 – $9.95; children 2 and under are free. All tours are self-guided and take about 35 minutes to complete. You need to be able to climb 54 stairs to get into and out of the caverns.
Even if you don’t explore the caverns, there’s plenty to do, including outdoor play structures and lawn games, gem mining ($6.99-$24.99), mini golf ($3), treasure hunt maze ($5), and the highlight for my kids is the huge Animal Encounters Petting Zoo (just $4 per person). They loved feeding the friendly animals and frolicking with them inside the enclosure.
You can also explore the nature trails, check out the gift shop, and bring a picnic to eat in the shelter house.
Updates for 2020
- Face masks must be worn by everybody over 10 years of age. If you don’t have a mask you can purchase one in the gift shop
- All tours will be self guided for the 2020 season
- Foot traffic in the Petting zoo and Gift Shop is now one way. Please follow the signs
- Use the new service window to purchase
- Cavern Admission
- Petting Zoo Admission
- Treasure Hunt Maze Admission
- Mini Golf
- Gem Mining Bags
Please use the window to purchase everything listed. Gift shop merchandise can still be purchased inside the gift shop
Like the Facebook page to stay up-to-date on the fun for the year.
Open 7 days a week from May 15 – October 31, 2020, from 9:30am – 5pm
Olentangy Indian Caverns
1779 Home Rd
Delaware, Ohio 43015
Other articles of interest
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Sunflower Fields in Columbus
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus
- Creeking in Columbus: Creeks and other water to explore
- Best Places for Canoeing and Kayaking in Columbus
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- Free outdoor movies around Columbus this Summer
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Explore the Magical Fairy Trail in Granville
- Details about Splash Pads in Columbus for 2020
- Best places to pick berries in Columbus
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus
Delaware, OH 43015