Get out of the house and spend a couple of hours at Olentangy Caverns just north of Columbus. If it’s your first time there, you’ll wonder why you’ve never gone before! There’s so much to do…from caverns, petting zoo, playground, putt-putt, gem mining, and more. If you’re going to explore the caverns, it’s always cool down there, so bring a jacket!
The main feature of the attraction are the Caverns that were formed millions of years ago by an underground river. The caverns consist of winding passages and spacious underground rooms that have been determined to have been used by the Wyandotte Indians as a haven from the weather and from their enemies, the Delaware Indians.
The levels are 55 ft, 75 ft, and 105 ft deep and stay at 54 degrees year round. Artifacts and arrowheads found in the caverns are on display in the museum. Tours are $6.95 – $9.95; children 2 and under are free. All tours are self-guided and take about 35 minutes to complete. You need to be able to climb 54 stairs to get into and out of the caverns.
Even if you don’t explore the caverns, there’s plenty to do, including outdoor play structures and lawn games, brand new gem mining sluice ($6.99-$24.99), mini golf ($3), treasure hunt maze ($5), and the highlight for my kids is the huge Animal Encounters Petting Zoo (just $4 per person). They loved feeding the friendly animals and frolicking with them inside the enclosure.
You can also explore the nature trails, check out the gift shop, and bring a picnic to eat in the shelter house.
All tours will be self guided for the 2021 season. The self-guided tour now includes 7 stations with audio and written plaques to make the self-guided experience even better.
They expanded the playground to add swings, and have even added a porch swing for adults to enjoy!
Cave Yoga at Olentangy Caverns
Head to the caverns for Ohio’s only Cave Yoga!
Connect to nature inside the cave with an inviting and inspiring class welcome to all levels. This multi-sensory experience will take your yoga practice to a place it has never been, 75 feet underground.
Classes are $29, and there are 6 classes on 3 dates to choose from.
Dates: August 22, September 19, and October 10, at 7:15 am and 8:30 am
You’ll need to walk down 54 stairs to the cavern, so plan to wear tennis shoes or other sturdy shoes. You can practice barefoot or yoga shoes on your mat. The caverns stay around 55 degrees year round, so for that temperature. Find more details and register on the website.
Like the Facebook page to stay up-to-date on the fun for the year.
Open 7 days a week from April 1 – October 31, 2021, from 9:30am – 5pm
1779 Home Rd
Delaware, Ohio 43015
Other articles of interest
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Great places for creeking in Columbus
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus
- Best places to pick berries in Columbus
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus
- Best Places for Canoeing and Kayaking in Columbus
- Get started with Disc Golf in Columbus at these great courses
- Food freebies, delivery, and cheap eats in Columbus
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- Farm delivery and CSA’s in Columbus for local produce, meat, and dairy
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio
Delaware, OH 43015