Make a date with some friends to have a drink and get creative – virtually with Columbus Museum of Art. Join the Creative Happy Hour with CMA via Zoom on each month through 2020.
Creative Happy Hour with CMA is a virtual meet up to create and connect from home. Invite a friend, and grab the beverage of your choice to start creating. At the end, you’ll have enjoyed time with your friends, and created something to send to someone else!
Join the group to make DIY Postcard Art, ready to mail to a friend or loved one you miss, or have an opportunity to share and request postcard art with others in Creative Happy Hour. This program is free and open to all. No art experience required.
Creative Happy Hour with CMA
Postcards will be made from recycled materials such as cardboard (from recyclables: cereal, pasta, and cracker boxes) and ephemera (such as Junk Mail, Old Magazines, Newspaper, Cardstock, Photos). You’ll need other basic supplies such as ruler, scissors, markers/sharpie, glue, modge podge or tape, and a plastic ID card/credit card for smoothing. For the ephemera, find pieces, images, phrases that speak to you (or your intended recipient). Save the whole page or cut out around shapes, words or graphics before the Happy Hour starts.
Don’t have the supplies and want to support the museum? When you register, you can opt to purchase a Creative Happy Hour kit. All the supplies you need to create your own postcard art during one of our Creative Happy Hours. Your purchase includes templates for 4 postcards, a glue stick, marker, decoupage glue and applicator, 4 postcard stamps, washi tape, CMA collage material. Plus an extra CMA postcards and a promo gift. Kits are $15 to pick up at the museum, or $23.50 to ship to home.
Creative Happy Hour Postcard Art Themes
Each month has a different theme to bring new creativity to your postcard art. Events are from 5:45 – 7:00 pm.
- Sep 17: Ripple: bringing patterns, lines, swoops and swirls into your creation
- Oct 1: Stories: exploring folklore, costumes/cosplay through storytelling
- Nov 5: Activism: express issues that matter to you through a creative sense
- Dec 3: Puzzle: constructing, inventing and putting pieces back together
Register to receive an email with the Zoom Meeting ID. Registration is free!
Sharing your experience? Please use: #myCMAatHome and #myCMAstudio
Follow along with Columbus Museum of Art Facebook page for more fun events and inspiration while you’re at home.
Other articles of interest
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Sunflower Fields in Columbus
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus
- Creeking in Columbus: Creeks and other water to explore
- Best Places for Canoeing and Kayaking in Columbus
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- Free outdoor movies around Columbus this Summer
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Explore the Magical Fairy Trail in Granville
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus