Summer is about to begin, and canoeing is a great option during the dog days AND once we head into fall and the leave start to change. Trapper John’s Canoeing is about 15-20 minutes south of the city on Big Darby Creek and is a great way to spend a summer morning or afternoon.
Whether you’re looking for physical activity or to relax on the water, you can pick a trip that fits your plan. You may bring small personal coolers with food and beverage (no Styrofoam, glass bottles, or alcohol). No children under age 6. Ages 6-12 are $5.00 each for any canoeing or kayak trip. Trip outings begin around 9:00 a.m. up until 5:00 p.m., in time to have all guests off the creek by 6:00 p.m, unless otherwise noted.
Note: Due to low creek level, the livery is closed (as of 8/12). Check the Facebook page for reopening and/or creek levels.
New changes for 2020 at Trapper John’s
- Call ahead reservations only. No walk in availability at this time. (614)-877-4321. Complete waiver prior to arrival
- Arrive 15-20 minutes early for your scheduled time so that you can be ready to go.
- All rental equipment will be cleaned after each use. The vans will be disinfected and use of open air will be utilized as often as possible. Due to increased cleaning practices and the required products, tools, and labor needed for cleaning, we will be temporarily charging a small fee to assist in covering these costs.
- Shuttle wait times may increase, as shuttles will carry less people at a time
Trapper John’s Trips
Approximately 1-2 Hours, 7 days a week – $16-$20/person
The Upper Trip
Approximately 2-3 Hours
This trip has limited availability until 11 am at a rate of $25-$28 per person
The Lower Trip
Approximately 2-4 Hours
This canoe trip is offered 7 days a week until 1:00 p.m., at a rate of $25-$28 per person.
The 9 Mile Trip
Approximately 4-5 Hours
This combines the Upper and Sampler Trip, with the canoe livery half way between for your convenience. This is a journey so pack a light lunch and a cold drink and enjoy the day. 4-5 hours, offered 7 days a week, departing before 10:00 a.m., at $32-$35 per person. Call ahead to book.
The Full Day Trip
Approximately 5-6 Hours
This combines the Upper and Lower Trip with the canoe livery halfway in between. Pack a lunch and drinks. This canoe trip is only offered weekdays departing before 10:00 a.m., at $35-$38 per person. Call ahead to book.
Departing around 8:00 p.m., arrive by 7:30 pm. This is a guided tour with reservations required. Night tours require some canoeing experience and will add a different spin on a typical canoe trip. Cost is $25 per person.
- Friday July 10
- Friday July 31
- Friday August 7
- Friday August 28
- Friday September 4
Private boaters are welcome. Shuttle pricing $12-$18; Take Out Access is $5 for any take out spot.
Season passes are available!
Trapper John’s Canoe Livery
7141 London-Groveport Rd
Grove City, Ohio 43123
Other articles of interest
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Sunflower Fields in Columbus
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus
- Creeking in Columbus: Creeks and other water to explore
- Best Places for Canoeing and Kayaking in Columbus
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- Free outdoor movies around Columbus this Summer
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Explore the Magical Fairy Trail in Granville
- Best places to pick berries in Columbus
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus