CANCELLED for 2020
Join cyclists in a short, slow and silent processional through Downtown Columbus in honor of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roadways with the annual Ride of Silence on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 6:30 pm with YAY Bikes. Riders will be participating in cities worldwide for this movement, and Columbus has hundreds of participants.
The group will gather from 6–6:30pm at Columbus City Hall, enjoy a brief presentation at 6:30pm and roll at 7pm. The ride is free and registration is not required, but you will be expected to remain silent for the entire 10 miles and ride in a slow, organized processional.
The Ride of Silence is a response to the aggressiveness and intimidation that cyclists face on the roads of our city. The main goals of the ride are:
- Remember and mourn those killed by motorists,
- Raise awareness that our community has, and supports, a large population of cyclists,
- Show the public that cyclists are not going to stop riding on the roads,
- Point out that we ask for respect from motorists,
- Remind motorists that we wish only to SHARE the roads.
About Ride of Silence
The first Ride of Silence was created in response to the death Larry Schwartz, a well-loved cyclist from Plano, Texas who was struck by a school bus in 2003. Over 1,000 cyclists gathered for the memorial ride. The next year, Larry’s cycling friends brought the Ride of Silence to their communities, including Columbus, Ohio. The event has spread nationwide and worldwide, with over 300 communities planning simultaneous Rides of Silence to occur the third Wednesday of May.
- Black armband – know, and mourn, a cyclist fatality with an auto
- Red armband – for those that have been injured by a motorist.
To support this year’s ride by volunteering and/or donating, visit http://www.yaybikes.com/
Other articles of interest
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus and upcoming garden events
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- Discounted and Free Museum Days in Columbus
- Find over 125 free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- 50+ Best free and cheap dates in Columbus
- Huge list of Happy Hours all over Columbus