Join cyclists in a short, slow and silent processional through Columbus in honor of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roadways with the annual Ride of Silence on Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 6:30 pm with YAY Bikes.
Riders will be participating in cities worldwide for this movement, and Columbus has hundreds of participants.
The group will gather from 5:30–6:30pm athere is a brief presentation, including reading the names of the cyclists who were killed on Ohio roads in 2022 at 6:30pm.
The ride will roll at 7pm. The ride is free. Riders are expected to remain silent for the entire 10 miles and ride in a slow, organized processional.
The Ride of Silence is a response to the aggressiveness and intimidation that cyclists face on the roads of our city. The main goals of the ride are:
- Remember and mourn those killed by motorists,
- Raise awareness that our community has, and supports, a large population of cyclists,
- Show the public that cyclists are not going to stop riding on the roads,
- Point out that we ask for respect from motorists,
- Remind motorists that we wish only to SHARE the roads.
About Ride of Silence
The first Ride of Silence was created in response to the death Larry Schwartz, a well-loved cyclist from Plano, Texas who was struck by a school bus in 2003. Over 1,000 cyclists gathered for the memorial ride. The next year, Larry’s cycling friends brought the Ride of Silence to their communities, including Columbus, Ohio.
The event has spread nationwide and worldwide, with over 300 communities planning simultaneous Rides of Silence to occur the third Wednesday of May.
- Black armband – know, and mourn, a cyclist fatality with an auto
- Red armband – those injured by a motorist.
To support this year’s ride by volunteering and/or donating, visit http://www.yaybikes.com/
Best of Columbus on the CheapCheck out some of the most popular articles for Columbus on the Cheap
Subscribe to Columbus on the Cheap's email list
- Upcoming weekend events
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus
- Over 85 Indoor Play Places and Activities for kids around Columbus
- Huge List of Columbus Happy Hours
- Discounted and Free Museum Days in Columbus
- Over 20 Farmers Markets around Columbus
- Over 325 Central Ohio and Columbus Festivals
- Columbus Zoo Tickets, Discounts, and Free Days
- Kids Eat Free (or cheap) in Columbus
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- 50+ Best Free and Cheap Date Ideas
- Fun Nights Out in Columbus
- Where to find the cheapest gas
- 50+ Best Free and Cheap Things to do today in Columbus
Leave a Reply