Your kids are home with you for 3 weeks…maybe longer. You can do this! Make a (loose) schedule, do schoolwork, get outside, play board games, make crafts and art, cook together…. and when you run out of ideas or need a break, go virtual with live streams for kids!
Instead of letting your kids watch mindless TV on this long break, let them learn and explore through on demand and virtual live streams for kids! There are all sorts of options popping up, so you can do something different every day!
Animals and Education
Ohio History Connection is such a fun and educational resource in our city, but the education doesn’t stop in the museum or at school! Kids can continue to explore with Learn at Home through Ohio History Connection. They’ve gathered resources and content to keep your kids engaged and interested in learning about Ohio History while at home.
The Learn at Home resources are organized by grade level, so you will find targeted content for your kids. There’s even content for adults, because there’s no age at which we should stop learning – especially about our great state history. Find the resources here.
Home Safari Facebook Live each weekday at 3pm will highlight one of the amazing animals and include an activity you can do from home. Join them starting Monday, March 16 at 3pm for the first Home Safari- featuring Fiona!
Watch 2 sessions of Columbus Zoo Q’s Series on their Facebook page. On Zoo Qs, they’ll offer answers with weird, wacky, and fun facts about the awesome animal kingdom. There are 10 episodes available, and each is just a few minutes long, such as “Why do giraffes have spots?” or “Wombat Poop Is What?”.
You can also watch a new video of Aurora’s 15 week old cub explore his behind-the-scenes yard and pool!
A Week of Awesome Afternoon Adventures! with Chris Field – Serial Disrupter
Each day next week at 3pm EST you can log in for free and your kids can go on a LIVE and one of a kind adventure with some awesome people. Open to all ages but focused on kids ages 5-10.
- Monday – an exotic animal veterinarian will be hanging out with real giraffes (yes, this photo is one of them!) and teaching us all about their lives
- Tuesday – a local policeman will give a tour of his police car and share all about how our policemen spend their days
- Wednesday – some fun and relaxing and CALMING kid’s yoga with the amazing Allison Sullivan
- Thursday – an adventure all the way to Ghana, Africa with yours truly
- Friday – an online art class where kids will learn new skills and refine old ones and create something awesome (and not messy)
All of these classes will be FREE and will stream live on the Facebook page. Each adventure will last between 30-45 minutes.
Two hour livestream show on Facebook and YouTube Monday-Friday at 11 am EST, featuring science and math lessons, crafts and games. Science and math lessons are aimed at kids age 7-12, but this is a family-friendly show that is for BOTH kids and parents (and any elderly people who are feeling isolated at home and would like to watch some science and math lessons and participate in a few crafts)
Facebook Live every day this week at 10AM (EST) for Shark Story Hour. Each day they will read a new shark themed book followed by a shark Q/A session. Videos will be available on Facebook page after live show.
Head to the COSI website every day for exciting and engaging science through COSI videos and hands-on science you can try with your family at home. Click to follow them on Facebook or IG to find out what the daily science activity is going to be, and sign up for an email for a weekly digest of the week’s activities.
You can also take a 360 degree tour the American Museum of Natural History Dinosaur Gallery at COSI!
Movement, Mindfulness, and Exercise for Kids
Tune in everyday at 10:30 for a different activity for Family Fun & Fitness. Staff will be posting videos, crafts, games and much more to keep you active during this stressful time. Read through the discussion for more ideas and links to other recreation options.
Local sports program organization, Bally Sports, will be posting videos on the Facebook page each morning to give you ideas of things to do with your kids to prevent cabin fever. Check back here to see when videos are posted!
Fun themed yoga workouts for kids, including Frozen, Trolls, Star Wars, Animals, and dealing with life situations and more!
Coach Wood is live streaming gym class! Kids will love his personality and funny themes (toilet paper workout, costume yoga). Perfect for rainy or cold days when they can’t play outside!
Do kids need a break to get the wiggles our in between at-home school work or boredom? Turn on GoNoodle! The website and app provide movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts to help get kids moving! You’ll find creative movement, Kids Bop videos, kids Zumba, Think about It lessons, and more. We use the app on roku to stream the videos on our TV.
Art, Books, and Music
Join Laurie Berkner for a LIVE Laurie Berkner Break! She’ll be on at 10am most weekdays for singing, stories, moving our bodies, and more. Shows are available on the Facebook page for replays!
Captain Captain will be taking requests for songs, stories, and more everyday at 10:30 am. Shows are available on the Facebook page for replays!
Draw along with number one New York Times best-selling author and illustrator of the “Pigeon” books, Elephant & Piggie early reader series, and so much more!
Created by Carla will post a video each morning for a fun art idea for you to do each day with your children
Listen to and watch astronauts reading books about space, from space. Kids will see the inside of the spacecraft
Storyline Online, streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations. Readers include Viola Davis, Chris Pine, Lily Tomlin, Kevin Costner, Annette Bening, James Earl Jones, Betty White and dozens more.
You can watch the videos on your favorite video app, including Vimeo Ad-Free player, or on Storyline Online’s free app.
Virtual Field Trips
Multiple organizations offer virtual field trips so kids can explore without leaving home – or needing a permission slip!
- 360 degree tour of the American Museum of Natural History Dinosaur Gallery at COSI!
- Discovery Education Virtual Field Trips
- San Diego Zoo Kids Virtual Tours
- National Museum of Natural History Virtual Tour
- Yellowstone National Park Virtual Field Trip
- Online Tour of the Louvre
- Take a Virtual Walk on Mars
- NASA Videos
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Live Cams
- Tour the Pyramids online
- Virtual Tour of Buckingham Palace
- National Park Service Grand Canyon Tours and Live Cams
- Panda Cam at Zoo Atlanta
- Houston Zoo Animal Cams
- Georgia Aquarium
- Virtual Farm Tours
- Virtual Tour of the Great Wall of China
Upcoming Virtual Events for Kids
Sunday, April 5, 2020
Monday, April 6, 2020
Tuesday, April 7, 2020
Wednesday, April 8, 2020
Thursday, April 9, 2020
Friday, April 10, 2020
Saturday, April 11, 2020
Sunday, April 12, 2020
Monday, April 13, 2020
Tuesday, April 14, 2020
Wednesday, April 15, 2020
Thursday, April 16, 2020
Friday, April 17, 2020
Saturday, April 18, 2020
Other articles of interest
- Free Starbucks for frontline heath care workers and first responders
- Virtual Events Calendar
- Food freebies, delivery, and cheap eats in Columbus
- Looking for a job? These companies are hiring in Columbus
- Connect with friends and family in a Group Facetime Chat
- Have a FREE Netflix Party with friends in your own homes
- Community resources and activities in Columbus
- Spring Break: at home edition
- Free at home workout options for all
- Stuck at home? On demand and Virtual Events and Entertainment
- Virtual tours, on demand videos and live streams for kids
- Senior shopping hours in Columbus stores
- Skip the stores: Grocery pickup and delivery in Columbus
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus (will show available and cancelled events)