Anyone else missing the Columbus Zoo lately? Springtime is such an amazing time to visit the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, so its a huge loss to our community while its temporarily closed. While you can’t visit the animals in person, you can check out the many Columbus Zoo Virtual programs to get your Zoo animal fix.
The Columbus Zoo has many ways for you to keep you in touch virtually with the happenings at the Zoo and with the animals until they can re-open.
Look for daily #ColumbusZoo2U updates on Facebook or Instagram at 10 a.m. You find information, videos, and pictures from the keeps and vet staff who are on site with the animals. Don’t forget to check out videos of the newly named polar bear cub “Kulu”!
Columbus Zoo Live
Watch the live feeds of the Discovery Reef Aquarium and the bonobos in the Congo Expedition region, and read more about each exhibit. Both cameras are best viewed during daylight hours. The Heart of Africa savanna is coming soon!
Go to school with the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. Check out the #ColumbusZooSchool social media posts on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays at 1 p.m. with engaging activities. The posts meet the Ohio Learning Standards of Science, so its a great way to learn without feeling like school. Can’t catch it live? You’ll find all of the #ColumbusZooSchool lessons on the website to enjoy on your own time. The are giveaways in the comments after the lessons, so make sure you comment! #ColumbusZooSchool is sponsored by Raising Cane’s Ohio.
Columbus Zoo Virtual Adventures
Connect LIVE with the Columbus Zoo via Zoom on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 a.m. Learn about habitats, animals and science concepts from all regions of the globe geared towards grades Pre-k through 3rd grade. The Zoom spots fill up, but you can watch the archives on the website. It’s free to participate, but registration is required.
We participated in the program today and my 6 year old loved it. He stayed engaged, completed the activities, and talked about how we can apply the lesson to our lives! The educators interact with comments and questions throughout the call, so it feels very interactive.
- April 16, 21 – Backyard Detectives: Discover what you can do to make your backyard habitat an inviting spot for common backyard animals!
- April 23, 28 – Food Chains: Meet a few key members of the food chain in our Heart of Africa region and see how the energy moves through this ecosystem.
- April 30, May 5 – Animal Adaptations: Let’s examine how animals across the Zoo are equipped for survival with both physical and behavioral adaptations.
Other articles of interest
- Virtual Events Calendar
- Stuck at home? On demand and Virtual Events and Entertainment
- Virtual tours, on demand videos and live streams for kids
- Community resources and activities in Columbus during Coronavirus cancellations
- Ultimate guide to Columbus restaurants with pickup and delivery
- Ways to get cocktails, beer, and wine delivery in Columbus
- Food freebies, delivery, and cheap eats in Columbus
- Pre-order Farmers Markets goods from vendors offering pickup/delivery
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- Farm delivery and CSA’s in Columbus for local produce, meat, and dairy
- Schools and restaurants offering free lunch for kids
- Freebies for healthcare workers and frontline employees
- Senior shopping hours in Columbus stores
- Skip the stores: Grocery pickup and delivery in Columbus
- DIY Take and Make Kits in Columbus