It’s hard to figure out how to safely dispose of old or expired prescription medications. The bi-annual National Prescription Drug Take Back Day makes it easy to get rid of old medications, safely.
Medicines should not be flushed down the toilet or drain, as the drugs can make their way into the water supply or leech into the ground. They can be put in the trash, but only if proper precautions for disposing of prescription medicines are taken.
The easiest way to dispose of these medications is to drop them off at a drug take back event. The DEA, or Drug Enforcement Administration host a National Prescription Drug Take Back Day every year across the U.S. The event will be held on Saturday, April 24, 2021, from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm, and Saturday, October 23, 2021, from 10AM to 2PM
SWACO supports National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day, held in April and October each year, by partnering with different communities in Franklin County to host collection events. These events give people a safe, convenient and responsible way to dispose of unused or expired prescription drugs. The next National Prescription Drug Take Back Day will be April 24, 2021 from 10 am to 2 pm at the following list of participating locations: Bexley, Blendon Township, Columbus, Dublin, Grove City, Hilliard, New Albany, Perry Township, Reynoldsburg, Sharon Township, Upper Arlington, Worthington, and select Kroger locations. Visit the website for additional details.
There are various places throughout the community where you can drop of drugs for proper disposal, including most local police departments and several Kroger locations. You can find a complete list of area drop-off event locations on the DEA event locator page. Inquiries can also be made at 1-800-882-9539.
If you don’t want to wait for one of the bi-annual take back days in April or October, you can find an authorized collector for year-round disposal at this website: Controlled Substance Public Disposal Locations.
Other articles of interest
- Free or cheap events this weekend in Columbus
- Fun and Tasty Adventure Trails in Ohio
- The most beautiful public gardens in Columbus
- Planetariums and Astronomy: Best places to see the stars in Ohio
- Walking labyrinths in Columbus and Central Ohio
- Great places for creeking in Columbus
- Caverns, animals, and more at Olentangy Indian Caverns
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails in Columbus
- Best places to pick berries in Columbus
- The best Dog Parks in Columbus
- Best photography locations in Columbus
- Best Places for Canoeing and Kayaking in Columbus
- Get started with Disc Golf in Columbus at these great courses
- Food freebies, delivery, and cheap eats in Columbus
- Farmers Markets in Columbus (and the changes for 2020)
- Farm delivery and CSA’s in Columbus for local produce, meat, and dairy
- Drive in Theatres in Ohio