Preservation Parks in Delaware County offer lots of free events for the whole family this summer. Between hikes, educational events, and fun for kids, you’ll find plenty to do this summer while enjoying some fresh air – and it’s all FREE.
Adventures in Flight
Check out the featured exhibit for the summer with Adventures in Flight, and discover all manner of flight — natural and man-made. Exhibits will be open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. Exhibits at Deer Haven Park, Shale Hollow Park, and Gallant Farm will introduce all things winged – from birds, bats and butterflies to Ohio’s aviation history.
Adventures in Flight Exhibit Hours
- DEER HAVEN PARK: May 26-Sept. 3 from 11 a.m.-6 p.m., daily. At Deer Haven Park, you’ll explore the world of birds in all their habitats! You can look among the prairie flowers to find the birds that live there, listen to the different sounds woodpeckers make, marvel at the shapes of sizes of real bird wings, and see what actions you can take around your own home to protect birds and the environment.
- GALLANT FARM: May 26-Sept. 3 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Wed-Sat 12-5 p.m., Sunday. Man-made flight is the theme at Gallant Farm, and Ohio has more connections than just about anywhere! Neil Armstrong, from Wapakoneta, was the first to walk on the moon and a copy of the original news paper article from his home town is on display, complete with quotes from his proud parents. John Glenn, who grew up in New Concord, was the first astronaut to orbit the earth. And the Wright brothers from Dayton are credited with building and flying the first successful airplane. The exhibit provides details and artifact related to these and other flight innovators.
- SHALE HOLLOW PARK: May 26-Sept. 3 from 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Wed-Sat. Enter a darkened room to learn about bats, fireflies and moths! Insects and bats are the theme here, and you’ll learn about their behavior and why they affect the food we eat, and pests that are controlled, and much more. You can even look through a special lens to learn how an insect sees, and uncover flower centers to find out the different between bees and wasps.
Adventures in Flight Activities
Drop in Discovery at Deer Haven Park: Celebrate Pollinators
Join us for crafts and a scavenger hunt. Walk the trails with nets and explore our local insect fauna! All ages
- Saturday, June 23, 12–5 p.m.
- Sunday, June 24, 12–5 p.m.
Dragons in Delaware: Let’s go find them!
Join MaLisa Spring, of the Ohio Dragonfly Survey, to learn about and search for dragonflies and damselflies at Deer Haven Park. Ages 6+
- Saturday, June 30, 10 a.m.
Study Birds with Robots at Deer Haven Park
OSU-Lima professor Jackie Augustine will share research and demonstrations using robots and drones to study how male prairie chickens attract mates. Ages 10+
- Sunday, July 15, 2 p.m.
Drop in Discovery: BATS at Shale Hollow Park
Discover bats with activities and special guests: The Organization for Bat Conservation, program on Saturday at 2 p.m.; and Ohio Nature Education with live bats on Sunday, 2-4 p.m.
- Saturday, July 21, 11 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Sunday, July 22, 11 a.m.–5 p.m.
Adventures in Flight Movies
Continue the flight theme through fun activities and movies. Bring a lawn chair and blanket. Movies are shown at Deer Haven Park and begin at 9 p.m. Please check our Facebook page for weather-related cancellations.
- Friday, May 25, 9 p.m. Disney Pixar’s “UP” (Rated G) Activities begin at 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, July 27, 9 p.m. Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Birds” (PG-13) Activities begin at 8 p.m.
- Friday, August 31, 9 p.m. “The Big Year” (PG) Activities begin at 8 p.m.
Hikes and Walks at Preservation Parks
Summer Bird Walk Series
Saturdays, 8 a.m. . See what birds are flitting around the parks this summer during walks with a staff member. All skill levels welcome, ages 7+; loaner binoculars will be available.
- June 30 (HRP)
- July 28 (BCP)
- August 25 (ETP)
Summer Night Hike Series
How do animals survive in the darkness? Discover how animals use sight, smell, hearing and touch to navigate, as we use OUR senses to explore the parks at night. Ages 7+
- June 8, 9:30 p.m. (ETP)
- July 6, 9:30 p.m. (DHP)
- August 17, 9 p.m. (CMRP)
Adventure Mud Run
Get “in” to nature — literally! Take a run on Gallant Wood’s primitive trail while maneuvering through mud pits and conquering both natural and man-made obstacles. Ages 8+. Free; register by July 23.
- Saturday, July 28, 10 a.m.
Discover at Preservation Parks
Fun at Gallant Farms
Gallant Farm represents a 1930s Delaware County family farm with a farmhouse, barn, livestock and lots more. Summer hours are: 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Wednesday–Saturday, and 12–5 p.m. on Sunday. Gallant Farm 2150 Buttermilk Hill Road.
Little Adventurers Series
Join us each month and explore the wonders of nature with little ones ages 0-5. Tuesdays & Saturdays, 10 a.m.
- June 12 (BCP) — Colorful Music
- June 16 (DHP) — Birds
- July 17 (GF) — The Farm
- July 21 (SHP) — Bats
- August 21 (ETP) — Snakes
- August 25 (GWP) — Flying Science
Story Time in the Park
Join staff from the Delaware County District Library as they read books on various topics. Then take part in a craft or other activity, and a short walk afterward. Ages 0-3 with an adult at 10 am.
- June 11 (GF) — Chickens
- July 23 (ETP) — Weather
- August 13 (DHP) — Bugs
Wonders of the Wetlands
Join staff at Gallant Woods Park as we uncover what it takes to create a wetland. Learn about this habitat’s importance and the creatures that depend on it. Meet at the picnic shelter. Ages 10+
- Saturday, August 4, 10 a.m.
Railroad Fun at Sandel Legacy Trail
Stop in at the model railroad open houses during three summer weekends.
- Saturdays, 10 a.m.–2 p.m. June 23, July 21, August 18
- Sundays, 12–4 p.m. June 24, July 22, August 19
Be entertained at Preservation Parks
Folk Songs Around the Fire
Fridays, 7 p.m. at Gallant Farms. Bring a musical instrument, or just your voice, and songs to share during nights of music around the fire. Listeners welcome, too!
- June 22
- July 20
- August 24
Thursday Evening Concert Series
We have a great lineup for this annual free concert series for all ages! Bring a lawn chair or a blanket. Refreshments available. No alcohol, please. Thursdays, 7–8:30 p.m. Gallant Woods.
- July 5: SOUL REVIVAL (Soul/rock)
- July 12: ALI RYERSON AND TROMBONES PLUS (‘30s, ‘40s & ‘50s big band)
- July 19: AGENT 99 (Classic rock)
- July 26: CENTRAL OHIO SYMPHONY (Ensemble)
- August 2: LONE RAVEN (Celtic)
- August 9: SMOKIN’ HAM BAND (Country)
Music Under the Paper Moon
In the 1930’s, one could pose with their special someone on a “paper moon hanging over a cardboard sea” at a carnival or fair for a nickel. Visit the farm, get your one-of-a-kind photo taken in front of our paper moon, and enjoy refreshments and live music. Gallant Farm, 2150 Buttermilk Hill Road
- Saturday August 18, 6:30-8:30 pm